Monday, November 17, 2003

For the Drunk guy

Looks like ‘later’ turned out to be much later. I’m sorry; it was hectic last week.

Speaking of Modest Mouse however, I really had a good time. Name a Modest Mouse classic and chances are they played it. ‘Paper Thin Walls’, ‘I Came As A Rat’, ‘3rd Planet’, ‘Wild Pack Of Family Dogs’, ‘Trailer Trash’, ‘Out Of Gas’ and even Gabe’s cover song ‘Bankrupt On Selling’ were on the set list. What was truly surprising though was the enormous crowd that greeted the band. That’s easily the first show I saw sold out at Nita’s Hideaway, and it outnumbered the crowd I saw attending Ugly Casanova a year or so ago.

Part of that factors into a comment that Gabe and Alex made that night. “Everyone was dancing at the Flagstaff show!” In other words, the Phoenix crowd can get a bid jaded at times. The lead singer Isaac Brock was quiet and reserved in front of the large audience and some feel that Modest Mouse is better to see in a smaller city like Flagstaff or Tucson.
Ironically, Modest Mouse played the following night in Tucson. But for the moment, I can only go on what I saw here in Phoenix: It was a fantastic set with a great band.

I do want to point out something from my experience at the show however. This is stuff that should probably be kept in mind if you ever see me at a show here in Arizona. Think of it as the first rule in concert etiquette when hanging out with Brock.

Behave for Brock

1. Get away from me rummy.
This was part of the fun at the show. A drunken guy with a buzz-cut approached me and leaned on me for a few moments. Then, staring me straight in the eye he muttered some incoherent gibberish and was on his way. First of all, never do this to me at a show. It bothers me, and your breath smells like urine.

That’s that for now. I’ll see you later.

No comments: