Monday, September 06, 2004

Back-lots

So last night I went location scouting with my Location Manager (Lee) for our short film, Pantomiming. We didn’t stay out too long, (I think he was giving me subtle hints that his wife wanted him back home at a decent hour) but we managed to pick out a few locations that were suitable for the film’s backdrop. The thing about Pantomiming is that the story completely unfolds on one location: a grimy little street corner plastered in trash with a brick wall dominating the background. I thought finding a street corner like that in downtown Phoenix would be relatively easy, but once we got down there we weren’t sure where to go to look for it. We ended up just cruising around looking for something suitable. We ended up finding a Bank 1 made completely out of brickwork. Red brickwork. It isn’t a street corner per say, but if you shoot on the side of the building where the bank’s sign is out of the way, and where the automatic tellers aren’t visible, then it looks like one. So shoot me, I’m shooting a bank for a street corner. It’s not like I’m filming in Toronto and then passing it off as New York.
The other location we found in the downtown area was this back alleyway to an art supply store. It wasn’t as perfect as the bank’s brick wall, but it was grimy and edgy looking. In the end I think we’re going to go with the bank back-lot. But I’ve been wracking my brain today trying to think of something that might be as good if not better then the bank. The bank back lot looks exactly like the street corner I see in my head, but you know…always the perfectionist. What about Copper Square? Maybe.
We also went down by the Bank 1 Ballpark, but that was a total loss. I want a brickwork street corner, not a modern street corner.
At any rate, I think I’ve got my camera set-ups figured out for the shoot. (A camera set-up is an overhead view of the location with the various camera positions and cast members mapped out. It’s like a director’s morbid version of Risk.)

Now here’s where things could get interesting: I think I may have to work on a second script to carry over into the rest of the program. Pantomiming will be filmed on September 25th, which means I can’t carry it over into my next class. Thankfully, I’ve got a second idea on the backburner that could work…

The only thing I haven’t had to worry about for the project thus far has been the music. It’s going to be Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl for sure. No other band has the character and personality needed for this film. I think I've even got the song picked out.

7 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

Wait, was that a corner... or a wall... or a street? Or, as they would say in Boston, a cahnah? As in "Get some chowdah on the cahnah."

Brock said...

Actually, I changed my mind. It's gonna be an actual street corner. More visual impact that way. I can't call it a cahnah though cause I'm not from Boston.

Brock said...

Actually, here's the place. Now you can all know what I mean when I say I'm going down to the corner.

Joshua Provost said...

Hm, still can't figure out what you're pointing at. The Hotel San Carlos or the Westward Ho? Or something else? The Westward Ho is classic. Besides the cool name, it used to be pretty swanky, but now it's an old folks home that works like a prison.

Jason said...

intense!

love,
jason mulgrew
internet quasi-celebrity

Joshua Provost said...

Talked to NMWG today and the use of Vinyl is a go! Need a copy without vocals? Let me know, I'll look into it.

Brock said...

Right on! Thanks man! This film just earned its wings. I'll let you know what I decide about the vocals.

Oh, and about your earlier question, I'll be filming under the San Carlos. I thought about the Westward Ho, and I even scouted it, but it doesn't have the look I want. It's a fantastic building, truly a piece of Phoenix history, but it isn't right for this particular film.