Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Blissful Colorado

OK, I’m back. My sweet, sweet vacation is over. I’m just now posting about it because I had a pile of work to do upon my return. Welcome back me. Total fish count: 9.

My wife, Rebekah, and I had a grand ol’ time in Colorado. We were enveloped in perfect weather and beautiful scenery. We caught up on much needed relaxation.

We first headed to the mile-high city, Denver, where we would catch the Sunday night NFL match between the Broncos and the Kansas City Chiefs. This was our second trip to the stadium, but our first for a regular season game. The two teams are heated division rivals, which greatly added to the anticipation and excitement of the game. The game did not disappoint. It was a close one until the fourth quarter when the Broncos pulled ahead for good.

Then we were off to Steamboat Springs, a ski resort community. Thanks to Rebekah’s Aunt and Uncle, they provided us a stay at their condo free of charge. You can’t beat that. There’s a long stretch of the I-70 freeway that goes right through the Rockies. It’s surrounded by gorgeous scenery. Plus, you get to drive through one mountain via the Eisenhower Tunnel. Fun.

Steamboat Springs is only 42 miles from where I was born and lived for 14 years. Despite living that close, I’ve only been to Steamboat previously a handful of times. Too bad, since it’s much nicer than Craig.

We visited a couple of lakes, one in which I fished. I mainly fished out of the Yampa River, though. There I caught 6 Rainbow Trout. At the lake I caught two Cutthroat Trout and one at a river in Durango on the way back. It happened to be behind our motel there so I thought “what the heck, I’ll fish it.” They were all very small but I caught a nice fat Rainbow that was around 10 inches.

The weather was mostly in the mid 70s. One day it was in the low 60s and that night’s low dipped down to the 30s. Crisp! One of my favorite things I did there, besides fish, was to sit outside on the patio at night and drink hot chocolate in a t-shirt and shorts.

On the way back we took the Million Dollar Highway through the San Juan Skyway. Spectacular views there. Oh, the trees were changing colors so that added to everything.

We coudln't pass up the Four Corners either. It's the only place in the U.S. where you can be in four states all at the same time!

Well, I could go on and on. I took a ton of pictures. Once I get them back I’ll post them up somewhere for all to see. They’ll tell the rest of the story.

2 comments:

Brock said...

Man, you got plenty of fishing in, eh? Quite a haul too. I'm excited to see your pictures. I'm sure there's some amazing stuff to look at.

Brock said...

Nice links by the way...