Tuesday, September 06, 2005

While

Haven't had a post in a while...don't know why.

Points of discussion:

-A hit man TV show (with episodes written by Gabe Loyer, Joshua J. Provost, Jeremy P. Provost and other guest writers.)

How am I gonna lure all those writers to the staff of my show? Well, I'm working on the premise, but I think it has two things that said writers will find enticing: hit-men (I know at least two of those writers have brooded upon this subject in the past) and filmmakers. These are the professions that the show will revolve around.

Note: I'm roughly developing the pilot for TV class right now, so don't everyone be writing up episodes just yet.

-Good Criterion DVD purchases (I'm thinking of something along the lines of Rashamon, Kagemusha and maybe something Godard. The problem with Godard is that I haven't really seen any of his films. He's one of those filmmakers where I'm forced to say "oh, he's brilliant", only because I know he is. From study, I've practiced theories he may have developed in my own craft.

...

Yes, it is ironic that I as a filmmaker use conventions developed by the works of others...works that I have not seen.)

-Creative writing class (Interesting, fun, but I feel a little underworked. Don't get me wrong, I get plenty of homework and I do it with the right attitude...I guess I want to be writing fiction. As this point she is developing us as writers. I whine now, but later on all of these minor exercises and routines will pay off in spades. I can already tell.)

-Armageddon (Speaking of Criterion, I was browsing their collection a short while back and I noticed the Michael Bay/Bruckheimer film on their list. What's up with that? I thought Criterion was a collection of the most important and often-times overlooked (by a mainstream audience) films. Armageddon?! The only reasoning behind this DVD being on the list is (a) Bruckheimer paid off Criterion handsomly and they used the cash to release a bunch of deserving films, or... (b) they consider it an important film to release because it represents the standard of all mainstream action films. It is the cinematic representation of that corner of the craft. Of course, maybe I'm missing something???)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monsieur Brockbrown,

Is creative writing with Sandy Desjardins? If so, say hello to her from me. I'm a(n) (in)famous student for her.

As for Criterion, I suggest "The Night Porter" with Charlotte Rampling or "Knife in the Water" by Roman Polanski. Or also, "Straw Dogs" by Peckinpah, if you've not seen 'em yet.

Jeremy said...

"The Passion of Joan of Arc" (http://www.criterioncollection.com/asp/release.asp?id=62) is a must have!

Gabe said...

Just as bad, is the essay for Armaggedon. The author tries too hard, grasping at straws, to justify it's inclusion as a Criterion film. I hardly agree. Also included, is his other film, The Rock.

Brock said...

Ray - yes, it is with Sandy Desjardins. She's very kind and informative. I'll be sure to let her know you say hi.

Both Jeremy and Ray - thanks for the good suggestions.

Gabe - I hadn't read the essay for Armaggedon, but I imagine it'd be hard to justify that one's inclusion. The Rock is a part of the Criterion Collection now as well? That's horrible. Now I know it's not just one fluke film, they must be buying their way in.

Brock said...

Ray - sorry for replying to this so late. Yes, Sandy is the teacher. She's a great teacher and I'm sure she'll remember you.

Another teacher of mine had very kind things to say about you - Marv Kupfer. I'm currently in his TV drama class, and during one afternoon, he began talking about you. "Ray is a brilliant writer. One of our school's best. I wouldn't trust anyone else to write edgy subject matter - but Ray is the kind of guy who can pull it off".