Friday, November 18, 2005

Your inside is out and your outside is in

Here's a late post for you...

I put the finishing touches on my new edit for "Outside In" today. I forgot why I wanted to make that film, and months after I had made it I found myself really disliking it, but after re-editing it I mentally said to myself: "Oh, riiiiight". It's just a silly film and that's why I had so much fun with it originally.

New points on this edit:

-Letter CU re-shot: on digital. Otherwise, without a good, clear closeup of the letter, the entire film is pointless.

-Monster revelation: the monster revelation sequence is quite a bit different now...the original edit had the dolly-back frame kick into an undercrank when the monster was revealed. Now, it starts off with an overcrank, moves into an undercrank and then eases back in to an overcrank. Lemme be more clear - it goes slow-mo, then fast, then back to slow-mo.

-Tossed out footage re-used: a lot of footage that I threw out on the original edit I use in this one, including lots of cut-aways.

-Cuts to black eliminated: Now, instead of the cuts to black scattered throughout the film, we have cuts to telecine color-correction. I really like this.

2 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

I can't wait to see the new version. Of course, I've been a big fan all along. You're right about the close up of the letter, I always had to explain that to people I show it to (and that's a lot of people).

Did you do any color correction or other visual work?

Those cuts to black were what inspired the cuts to black in Intense Math that everyone likes so much. What exactly do you cut away to now?

Brock said...

The fact that myself or someone else has always had to explain the film to whoever is watching it has probably been what caused me to dislike it so much.
Problem solved.

Well now I cut away to the red camera flashes typical of a telecine. Stuff like you stuck in The Subject trailer.

If I have time, I will do some color-correction work before I turn it in. I did tamper around with it a little bit, just to see where I could go. I ended up making the mailboxes more golden, the shadows much deeper and darker and the film a lot more harsh. It almost looked like a pop-culture reference to Warhol or something. I don't know if I'll go that far, but something along those lines...