Monday, May 15, 2006

Aloha!

This band is 5x better live than on record! Every band should be, but alas, sometimes it's the contrary. If you have the chance to see them, go! I doubt they'll disappoint.

Brock and I traversed to Modified Arts, to gain entry rights, as we've had the previous misfortunes of sellouts. I researched the opening bands, Peachcake, and Foreign Born, beforehand. After determining from their MySpace page that Peachcake's core fanbase consists of 17-year olds who love to bounce to their jumpy, synth-pop, we decided to skip out and patronize Carly's, which resides in the spot previously occupied by The Paisley Violin. There we partook of some tasty, exotic beers.

Feeling a new sense of air, we headed back in time to catch Foreign Born. They were described as having a 70s guitar sound. I only caught a hint of that, but they were pretty fresh and interesting to listen too.

Then, there was Aloha. I already had an expectation of greatness from word of mouth, and their performance on the Michigan Fest DVD that I own. They exceeded that expectation. They're a four-piece and aside from the usual guitar, bass, and drums, they had two keyboards, a vibraphone (the iconic piece of Aloha), and an additional floor tom located near the vibraphonist.

They have a few songs where the drummer becomes the focus, pounding out fast, tight and alternating rhythms. He was often accompanied by a relentless beating of the floor tom with mallets (or whatever you call the drumsticks with big, fuzzy ends). Some songs had no guitar, with both keyboards dueting. The bass was melodic, in synch with some drum highlights. It was contagiously energetic.

1 comment:

Brock said...

This is probably the best show I've been to in months. Like Gabe said, they absolutely blow you away live. I've only heard some of their music, truth be told, on record...but I do like them quite a bit.
Live, they were unchained. There was definately a sense of underlying tension and controlled power in their music.
The vibraphone really added to the atmosphere. It was like being in a tropical rainstorm at some parts, with the pounding, thumping drums like the crash overhead of thunder and the vibraphone chimes like water sprinkling.
A great show all around - I'm really glad Gabe and I went. We even joked the day after about traveling down to Tucson to see them live (they played there the following night). Well...joked, but part of us wanted to go I think.

I didn't really like Foreign Born. They were fresh and interesting, but not my cup of tea. And yeah...I didn't get the 70's guitar vibe. Hrm.

The exotic beers were tasty indeed. Way better then sticking around for Peachcake.