Monday, July 03, 2006

Wildlifeless

Well, now that the deed is done (or, the difficult part of it anyway), we might as well talk about it at some great length. After a few months of preparation, Matter of Chance shot the majority of Wildlifeless on June 30th at Balboa Park in San Diego. It was a long and harrowing day, one that resulted in my (and I believe to some extent, the rest of the crew’s) renewed doubt towards any filmmaking skill that I may possess.
First, let’s get the messy business out of the way. The day before the shoot, we lost our main actor. This was deeply devastating to me since I had cast the actor months in advance and spent some time building this film’s character with him. Moreover, I was somewhat appreciative of his application of the Method and his (seeming) interest in the story.
The morning of our departure for San Diego however, I made a fatal communication error with him, which resulted in his departure from the project. Needless to say, this event really put a bleak cloud over the weekend. I blame myself for amplifying that cloud however, as at that point, I think I stopped appearing to care about the movie.
Thankfully, Josh came to the rescue with the suggestion that we contact Joe Garcia (his father in-law and the guy who played Pierro in Leonardo) for the part. Joe, while not an actor by reputation, seemed to take direction well and most certainly looked the part. He didn’t have the advantage of training and 3-months of character development behind him, but he did get the general idea. And of course, he had worked with us before, so any misstep in communication I made with him would be shrugged off as a normal hiccup in the daily production routine. With the new actor onboard, the Matter of Chance team set-off for San Diego.
That night I slept fitfully. Sharing a hotel room with Joe, I opted to sleep on the living-room couch and let him have the bedroom all to himself. This was a good idea, because I tossed and turned for most of the night. Despite trying to fantasize of a life much simpler as I lay there on that couch, I often returned to depressed thoughts of how my little opus had begun. I woke up at 5:30 and decided to take a walk around the hotel after a shower.
San Diego was really amazing when I stepped outside. It was chilly, but bustling with activity. I could see gigantic cranes off in the distance, as well as ships and the bridge leading towards Coronado (where I desperately wanted to go). I must admit, I considered simply walking away and enjoying the city that day. But I couldn’t bring myself to do something like that…especially since we had put so much preparation and money into this project. It just wouldn’t have been honorable. And besides, I needed a ride home.
After Josh and I roused the crew, we headed over to Balboa to walk through the park with the plant supervisor and the film commission’s employee.
Surprisingly, we were given free reign to do pretty much anything we wanted in the park. There was the general rule of “don’t cut down any major plants”, but aside from that, we could do whatever we had to in order to get our shot. As long as we left the park in good order, the city of San Diego was happy with our arrival. I found this welcoming spirit to be deeply heartening. If it hadn’t been such a tremendous venture for such a small production company as ours…I would film in San Diego more often. Without a doubt, it will always be my second home and base of operations.
Josh and I brought the cast to the park next. While Angie put the makeup on Alexander Khan and Joe - Josh, Alex and Gabe set up the first shot – a sweeping single take of the jungle as Winston and Ali emerge from their tent.
This shot actually had the most potential out of all the visuals in the film. If pulled off right, it would be quite impressive, even by most professional’s standards. Unfortunately, we didn’t pull it off quite as well as I would have liked. The main reason for this lies in a missing screw to the fluid-tripod’s head. We needed that screw in order to get the camera on the tripod head. But, because we were missing it, we had to resort to using another head on the tripod…one far less slick. What was supposed to be a very smooth, gliding shot, now has many bumps. Even the best of takes is questionable in a few key areas. I don’t blame anyone for this problem – but I would like to avoid it in the future.
The rest of the morning’s shots were more or less tainted by this issue. While I don’t think the group was daunted by this problem (aside from Gabe, the rest probably didn’t even realize what was going on), Josh and I were profoundly depressed. During the lunch break, we both admitted as much. I also admitted that while everyone was working incredibly hard, we were severely understaffed. Two to three more people would have eased the shooting tremendously. I think we would have been able to move faster and get more takes in if we had a few extra staffers. Alas, we made do with our small, but faithful crew.
The morning’s shots involved Winston and Ali’s first encounter with the tiger along a jungle pathway. The majority of the film’s complex shots lied in this sequence, including our first use of the crane. While the cast broke for lunch, the crew set to work preparing the crane for the rest of the sequence. I took this time to look over my director’s notes and ensure that I was getting every nuance I had written about. Josh, Gabe and Alex tested the first crane shot once, and one of Josh’s connections in San Diego dropped by to talk digital with him. Finally, the cast returned with sandwiches for the crew, which we ate as we worked.

The afternoon’s shots blew by at a much quicker pace. Even the crane shots went by fairly quickly and without much gripe. There are a few shots that I would have liked executed better, but I am largely happy with this work.
After we put the crane away, Josh and I switched to a radical change in cinematography style. This new style, suggested in my notes on the film’s final portion and developed by Josh, involved handheld camerawork, extremely close angles and a fast shutter speed. I am sure that Josh is cringing at this paragraph, because the techniques are in fact a little more intricate then I have described, but you get the general picture. This portion of the film was deeply radical and very stylistically different. It was also incredibly easy to film. While the Spielbergian camerawork took us several hours to complete, I doubt that this stuff took more than 45 minutes. It was also very fun to shoot as well for Josh, Joe and I. Included in this set was the film’s final sequence – a showdown between Joe’s character and the film’s antagonistic force. I won’t expound upon the details of this sequence as it is quite crucial to the surprise of the film’s finale, but the filming went well. It was especially interesting to shot this part because we were staging it in a secluded area of the park that we didn’t expect to get permission to shoot in.
Following this, we filmed a few final scenes in Day for Night with Alexander Khan. When those scenes were in the can, Alex rushed Alexander and his mother Lisa Khan to the airport (just in time for their flight!). Meanwhile, the rest of us began the long task of cleanup.
As Josh and I put away the camera equipment, I apologized to Josh. In my estimation, the day had gone quite badly. I always feel that each film I make unfolds itself as a crisis situation, a feeling that can mainly be attributed to my larger ambitions and lacking manpower. In short, I am making and planning movies that should really have crews of 25…instead of 8. Josh shrugged this apology off however. I think he was too tired to view the day as a failure. And yet, I could sense some depression in his attitude. The question of whether that was genuine or projected upon him by myself, I do not wish answered.
It was frantic. It was hell. It chewed us up and spit us out. I don’t feel like I bonded with anybody because I was so worried about the project’s execution, and I felt like a criminal for doing this to everyone. What’s worse is that I’m not particularly strong, so whatever grunt work there was, I wasn’t fit for. Added to that was fact that I still blamed myself for the previous misfire with the film’s original actor. I wasn’t displeased with Joe’s presence (actually, I was quite uplifted by his attitude), but I felt incompetent for tarnishing earlier work. I blame myself for that.
And yet, I have to remember filmic law. Bad things happen on film sets. A plethora of things can, and usually will, go wrong. I learned that from The Subject. The problem is that we don’t have the money or manpower to drown out such mistakes. And so, we on the set of Wildlifeless had to live with them.
That is why, on the way home, I felt like I had failed. I didn’t believe that Josh or Alex, or Gabe or anyone else on the set had failed. I knew that I had.
The next morning, Josh e-mailed me and told me that he had looked at the footage and that it was great. I was somewhat pleased by this, but I had to see for myself.

After watching the footage on Sunday, I was both happy and depressed. It all looks really neat…and it also looks really rough. I felt that there was a good film lying in there somewhere. We just needed to dig it out.
This suspicion was confirmed when Josh and I set to cutting the trailer. Really, with some quick correction and editing, the footage we picked for the trailer glowed. It really is fantastic stuff. Suspenseful too. We must have watched the trailer 10 times and laughed each time. Not only that, but I also sensed a kind of tone and style in the footage that was reminiscent of my other work. I wasn’t aware of such a thing in pre-production, but there seems to be a flavor in the work that implies a certain sensibility. I also think that Josh has been given a powerful set of new tools (Dolly + Crane) to use in the next few films. Wildlifeless was simply the gateway. Just don't get ready to call me the new Kipling yet.
We still have a few things to shoot before we can complete the picture. Alexander Khan and his family are leaving the states for a month…and Josh and I are probably going to wait to film the rest of the movie until they get back. By that time, I will have access to SCC’s studios. A month seems like a terribly long time…but we’ll have the filming finished mid-August and the movie should be ready by September. I think Josh and I want it to tour the festival circuit anyway, so the extra wait really isn’t such a bad thing considering the fact that this film will be making the rounds until summer 2007.
So, when will you get a chance to view the trailer, dear reader?

In the next two weeks at a special screening. Where? I cannot say. But, if you keep yourself tapped in to the locale Phoenix film scene, you can probably guess where and when the Wildlifeless trailer will be unleashed.

5 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

Wow, quite a lot to respond to here...

First, as challenging as you make it out to be, I still think you are downplaying it. We also lost a crew member and lighting equipment a few days before the shoot, and even that fellow would have left us shorthanded. It was great to have Alex on hand, but, again, we were short-staffed no matter how you slice it. The loss of the lead actor was a near-crisis, the picture could have shut down at that point, and no one would have blamed you. Then, there were the challenging physical conditions of the shoot, working with a child actor, and many more. Hey, this was a big deal, I don't think that can be understated.

Honestly, though, I wasn't surprised one bit. These things happen. Like I said while we were packing up, we could write a book about the challenges surrounding each and every film shoot. I don't suspect it's any different with anyone else, amatuer or pro. I'm sure people don't show up for Spielberg once in a while, either. The only difference is that's maybe 1 person on a crew of 100, so the impact isn't as great. If none of this stuff happened, we might make the same film, but it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

The fact is, this film was meticulously planned so far in advance, the vision of it so clearly outlined in screenplay, notes, discussions, storyboards, etc., that it could well have made itself. Imagine if you had disappeared that morning. I think we would have gone right on with the production, and if we had followed your boards and everything else you had planned, we would have come out with much the same result. My point is, that you had already succeeded even before we hit the set, because the set is just production, like an assembly line, and the real effort was in pre-production. It still would have had your unmistakable stamp. The events of the day, good or bad, have little to do with your skill as a filmmaker, in my opinion. In a 48-hour challenge, maybe, but not in a production such as this.

Could the day have gone better? Sure. Was it anyone's fault? No, I think the heat had a lot to do with depressing the mood, since I felt pretty optimistic all of the sudden when we were shooting in the shade. Regardless, I was confident that we had the shots we needed. Regardless of the stuff happening on set, I knew that in those takes were the few seconds of glory you needed out of each shot. You've got to think way ahead to the edit, the color correction, the foley, the ADR, the score, all of that stuff. If you can look past what goes on on the set (which is really quite boring and unimpressive), the final product is there, and it's great.

Sure, I'm a little disappointed with the raw footage itself. It was the first time out with the camera, the dolly, the crane, pretty much everything, and we didn't really execute a stunning dolly/crane shot start to finish. I guess it was a big risk to break this stuff in on location in another state with everything on the line. If you never wanted to use my as DP again, I'd understand why. Still, it can all be made right in post, because we took the safe road. We made sure we didn't overexpose anything. We shot 4:3 so we would have wiggle room to recompose the shots for 16:9 later. Heck, this afternoon I found a way to really fix up the lacking footage while at the same time get more of the look I think you really hoped to get through lighting (which we didn't have), the look of light streaming through the canopy.

I made a key mistake in not correctly shooting with the look you wanted for the last few shots. I don't recall any directorial mistakes you made. You would have had to go way out of your way to do so, since it's pretty much in everyone else's hands once you get on the set.

You may remember that Joe was my first suggestion upon reading the script last year. I'm glad it came back to him in the end. The "other guy" was good, no doubt, but I'll venture to guess rather boring on screen. Joe's performance is no doubt very different, but I think he hit the high points for you, and he's way more entertaining on screen. I'm really entertained watching the trailer, in a way I couldn't imagine with the "other guy." The one thing we have seen the "other guy" in wasn't all that great, not even his performance.

No need for self-doubt. We went to another state... shot all day in a jungle... in the heat and humidity... with last minute replacements and child actors... with a whole new set of gear... and we got every shot we needed. That's a success, if you ask me.

PS - I just found the missing screw... in the bag with the tapes and batteries. It's been there a while. I saw on Thursday while packing, and wondered what it belonged to. It won't happen again.

Brock said...

I definately don't consider this to be a failure. And if my post implied that, I apologize. I simply wanted to outline how trying the day was...that way, when people see the trailer they'll be all the more impressed. Heh.
I agree that most of it was planned so well in advance that it would have just happened. I wouldn't have disappeared that morning for anything though. The idea was just a casual thought as I walked around the city. I'm not a traitor, I swear!

Sure, I'm a little disappointed with the raw footage itself. It was the first time out with the camera, the dolly, the crane, pretty much everything, and we didn't really execute a stunning dolly/crane shot start to finish. I guess it was a big risk to break this stuff in on location in another state with everything on the line. If you never wanted to use my as DP again, I'd understand why.

Bah. Most directors hate their raw footage. They cringe when they watch it. It isn't until they clean it up and put it together in a sequential fashion that they begin to see how it works. For a first-run with the crane and dolly, we did pretty freaking good. We'll only get better. And if the day established anything, it established you as my DP. Period.

I made a key mistake in not correctly shooting with the look you wanted for the last few shots. I don't recall any directorial mistakes you made. You would have had to go way out of your way to do so, since it's pretty much in everyone else's hands once you get on the set.

That mistake actually isn't very noticable in the last few shots. It may be to you and I...but in the final product no one is going to even question it.
I made a billion directorial mistakes...thankfully, everyone else was on their toes.

You may remember that Joe was my first suggestion upon reading the script last year. I'm glad it came back to him in the end. The "other guy" was good, no doubt, but I'll venture to guess rather boring on screen. Joe's performance is no doubt very different, but I think he hit the high points for you, and he's way more entertaining on screen.

Exactly my thoughts. Joe was the original selection for this character, but we decided to "venture out" and try someone new. Yeah, the other guy was good, but I think he forgot that this was popcorn entertainment...not Romeo and Juliet. Joe's performance is actually quite close to my notes for the character. He's definately more entertaining to watch. He's got those acting awards for a reason.
Actually, I want to take a little space here to outright state how fine of an actor and a person Joe is. He saved my butt. And he did a good job as he saved it. I am really honored to have him in the film, and I'm glad it ultimately came around to him.

No need for self-doubt. We went to another state... shot all day in a jungle... in the heat and humidity... with last minute replacements and child actors... with a whole new set of gear... and we got every shot we needed. That's a success, if you ask me.

Oh, hands down. It was a tremendous success. I think we downplay our accomplishments sometimes. This is going to be one such downplay. When you think about what happens in the film, how the footage cuts together, and what new techniques we were employing, you realize we were shooting for the moon. A person's reach should always exceed his grasp. We definately nailed it though.

By the by - I don't want to sound depressed or ungrateful with this post. I simply want to set up the circumstances, becuase we all came through them with flying colors. When people see this flick, they'll freak. It's so ambitious considering that most of the local films stick to medium shots and the camera's factory settings. We tried to do something really impressive, and when we're watching the movie in a month or two, we'll see how fine of a job we all did.

Gabe said...

Like you both said, problems are to be expected. It wouldn't be a film shoot if there weren't.
The shoot really is like a battle field, and if you come away with one thing, I hope it's that you realize your crew, your fellow soldiers, will lay it down on the front lines for you, and for each other.
It's only natural that a commander feel guilt for the misfortunes of his batallion, but it is only the nature of war.

Brock said...

Hey, Gabe's in character for Filmic!

Kiddings...

You're right. It's war man. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Joshua Provost said...

Wow, you're right, Filmic is going to be a whole lot better as a result of this experience. :)