Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Lost is Lost

Wow.

Over the weekend I got a terrible virus. Truly terrible, let me tell you. My throat was so scratchy and sore that I felt I had strep. I’m telling you, I didn’t want to take any chances with this crap; I went to the doctor right away. But it turns out it was only a virus: A mild one, by the tone of my doctor’s voice. Felt like swallowing a brick.
I started feeling better yesterday though. Today I actually got around to e-mailing people, taking notes, reading…not quite the usual, but better then the nothing that had been the last few days. Tomorrow I’ll try and get back into my actual routine.
While I’m here, I wanted to talk about one thing and one thing only: Lost. It’s 8:30 as I write this, so Lost will be starting soon. And I’m wondering why the hell I’m even watching it. Man oh man; Rebeckah (Gabe’s wife) is not going to like this post. Don’t let her see it Gabe. Keep her away.
Lost used to be the best show on television. It was mysterious, fast-paced and intriguing. Okay, the first season was mysterious, fast-paced and intriguing. Season two was hit and miss. Season three? Garbage.
Last week they spent an entire episode on two characters they introduced earlier this season, and then killed them. The characters themselves were pointless. The diamonds they stole had no consequence on the overall fate of the survivors. Their storyline was completely separate from the main characters in fact. It was like they existed in a separate universe. It was a waste. What’s worse, the writers knew it was a joke and they continually referenced that in the dialogue and actions of other characters. Why? Good writing is moving the story forward and developing the characters you have in the face of interesting goals and conflicts to the achievement of those goals. Good writing is satisfying, unlike last week’s Lost.
I watched that episode and I thought to myself, “this is something I would write”. All the in-jokes were a blatant attempt at being clever. They were winking to us. Letting us “in” on the joke. Aren’t they clever?
Only one person on the planet can do that right now and get an automatic pass, and that’s Kaufman. I don’t want to see it from Lost, a dramatic series.

Don’t agree with me? Think of it this way:

In season 1 we had powerful moments like Locke walking after the tremendous revelation that he was once paralyzed.

In season 2 we have Damon Lindelof…erm, excuse me – Saywer…asking, “who the hell is Nikki?”

Lame.

14 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

I couldn't agree more. The show has really drifted. It even looks different this season. Much more colorful (in one shot a week or two ago, everyone on the beach was wearing a different colored shirt, it was a veritable rainbow), and everyone seems to have crisp new clothes.

The season started very strong. I didn't really have a negative thing to say prior to the show break. It's been total crap since they came back from the break. They keep taking week or two breaks from the few compelling storylines they have going, and everything else seems like filler. Once everyone is settled in on the beach, it becomes Gilligan's Island.

The Sawyer character is particularly suffering from flat out bad acting this season. Either that or its bad writing making him look bad.

Guys, you have 108 minutes to fix this problem before you totally lose me.

Brock said...

The biggest problem with Sawyer is that they completely declawed him. I remember when he used to be a "dangerous" character...when he withheld the medicine Shannon needed just so he could get a kiss from Kate. Sawyer just isn't Sawyer anymore. Another example: last night, when Hurley told him they were going to vote him off, Sawyer's actual response should have been something along the lines of "I've got all the supplies...I'll just take everyone's stuff with me".

Gabe said...

I too agree that the show is suffereing. But, I don't think the writers were trying to be clever with their self-deprecating references. I think it was an attempt to ask forgiveness from the viewers. I think it was a "hey, we're not that clever, take us off the pedestal you've placed us on." However, they're falling off that pedestal on their own.
Having Ben state his motivation ("I'll do the same thing I always do, manipulate their weakness") in the throw-away episode, was funny to me because by then, it's an overtly obvious trait of his.
However, having Julia state that Ben likes to play mind games last night in a show that was supposed to be serious again, was just plain awful. I also think they're writing ahead of themselves (been writing ahead of themselves), which is leading to their demise.
On SNL (I think it was), the Weekend Update mentioned that Lost was signed for a fourth season "which has lead the writers to say 'oh crap!'" So, it's apparent to a lot of people.
But, you just know it was going to happen.

Brock said...

SNL is freaking awesome.

And you know what? It's the previews for the next episode that keep me watching. Because they play into my every want and desire. Last night's preview might as well said, "You just watched Juliet be a total skank-wad whore. Now, Sayid, the only character left with a pair, will torture her. Don't miss it."

Joshua Provost said...

Could the fact that there is no more ticking time bomb (the computer in the hatch), have really taken the edge off the whole affair. There really is no primal impending doom anymore. It doesn't seem like anyone has much motivation anymore.

Gabe said...

That's what I've been thinking. I actually think the writing itself has declined, but not by much, really. I feel it's that the mystery isn't so strong anymore. The Others aren't that mysterious anymore, the hatch is gone, characters are changing (which personally, I think should happen, due to the trauma of their current experience). It just can't satisfy everyone.

Brock said...

That's an interesting point.

If you think about season 1, the big issue was the crash itself and survival in the face of that crash.
And season 2 had the button, which I thought was an awesome plot device. Talk about your dream "conflict point". This season? There's no real clear goal...no bigger issue like The Hatch or the crash.

Namlet said...

I agree. What happened to all the fun stuff? The numbers, the mysterious interconnectedness of the travelers. Now it seems like they are trying too hard. Kate and Sawyer's baby's momma?? Come on. And Juliet!? They dangle the box in front of you, show you the monster again; what happened to the plane that located the magnetic disturbance in search of Desmond near the end of last season? It's all drama and lame character interactions, deceit for deceit's sake. If I wanted to see that, I'd watch CSI or American Idol.

Please, get back to what made this interesting in the first place. A metaphysical mystery.

Brock said...

Good point.

Okay, my final thought on last week's episode: Why would Sawyer, a con man, need help on endearing himself to people? He's a freaking con man! That's what he does!

Joshua Provost said...

...and then it was great again.

Great episode this week, and looks like a it will be solid the last five of the season. Curse the mid-season lulls.

House also rocked, and 24 was off the charts the last two weeks.

Gabe said...

I don't know, it still felt weak to me. I also feel part of the problem, is us, the audience. We wanted answers so bad! So, was the sweet anticipation of the answers to come, driving our hunger? When starving, we'll gorge on even the blandest of food. So, now that we've had a steady supply of little answers, are we not satisfied with non-gourmet? Or, when we got chicken, we wanted steak? Why these food analogies? Why have I only had coffee this morning?

Joshua Provost said...

You're right, it's just the hunger talking.

Brock said...

It was a pretty good episode. If anything, it just pushed my desire for the writers to "off" her character in the most grim way possible.
I think what I dislike the most is how they've alienated us from Jack. Not that he was ever the most relatable of guys, but he was generally the perspective through which the viewers enjoyed this show. Now, he's acting like such a retard I just don't care. I feel cut off. Can we just make Sayid the main character of this show already?

Good points though:

-Ben saying out loud "We're approaching the house! Don't shoot us..."
-Juliet calling out Sawyer and Sayid on their questionable pasts. Talk about talking yourself out of a bad situation.
-Hurley sitting with Juliet and the line "I had the day off". I also liked when he alluded to Charlie killing Ethan...the one bad-ass thing Charlie has ever done.
-Jack's unspoken rage towards Locke for blowing up the sub.

It was better then the last two episodes. Still not the best.

Brock said...

Side point that Josh brought up:

House is the most reliable show on television. I mean, there have been two bad episodes this season? Three? Other then that, the show constantly answers old storylines and creates new ones that are just as interesting. And while most of the characters vary in terms of quality, House himself remains pretty strong each episode. If I had to bet on which show will be better next week, House or Lost, I'd put my chips on House. Lost just can't command that faith anymore.