Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Easy Rider

Yeah, it’s been quite some time since we’ve posted. But thankfully, Gabe delivered the goods today with that pair of reviews. As for me, there’s been the draining experience of my Monday night class: Introduction to Cinema. (Pull up a chair kids; it’s story time.)

Introductory to Cinema is a humanities class that I have to take in order to complete my degree. It’s kind of notorious among students as being an “easy ride”. A large number of people every semester enroll in this class because all you have to do is watch movies in order to earn credits.
The thing is, every now and then a film major spills over into the class because their major requires them to know a little bit about film history. In this class they can watch Chaplin films and learn a bit about Georges Melies.
As a film student I’ve found most of the material engaging. But I’m the only film student in the class. Everyone else approaches the material in a less then enthusiastic manner. Just last night, before the class began, there was this whole discussion going on among the students about how boring directors in the 60’s are (the era we’re currently studying). Now I don’t mean to sound like a geek, but they’re sitting there bashing Stanley Kubrick. Stanley Kubrick. Eventually bashing of 60’s directors moves into bashing of directors. Finally one of the students let slip “I don’t understand why any of this material is so important anyway. It’s not like anyone here’s a film major”.
Discreetly I replied, “I am.”

It was a fun night.

No comments: