Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Satin on a Beach

Aside from the Casket Lottery show, we had some memorable moments in California. The walk down Hollywood Boulevard was especially notable to me since I’d like to work there one day. I also liked the beach, and I found some time in between the show and sights to read a short collection of Earnest Hemmingway stories and even pen the beginnings of my own short story.
We stayed in some nice areas of California, areas I hadn’t seen before. Hollywood and the beach weren’t the only things we saw. We also saw some massive skyscrapers in L.A. and the Mid-Evil Times restaurant. (We didn’t eat there though…)

The downside to seeing the great performance by The Casket Lottery was missing Modest Mouse’s appearance on David Letterman. I’m sure I can find a video of it somewhere on the net though. Did anyone happen to see it on TV? If so, what did you think? It’s just insanely cool to me that a band like Modest Mouse can walk into a theater where the likes of Jessica Simpson and Avril Lavigne have stood, and turn out a great, yet terribly dark song to millions of viewers. Gabe and I complain about smaller artists like The Casket Lottery going unnoticed, but there are triumphs for underground music here and there. With The Casket Lottery’s show and Modest Mouse’s television appearance, I’d say Friday, as a whole, was a triumph.

No comments: