Sunday, November 21, 2004

The 10 most iconic film characters (in Brock’s mind)

I think that I’ve proven myself unable to post on a regular basis. I’ll go for days, sometimes weeks on end without a single post, and then, as if a thief in the night, I explode with a flurry of posts out of nowhere. That’s probably not very fulfilling or enjoyable on my part. So, I’m going to have to give myself a bit of an incentive to post every day of this week. I’m going to compose a blank list for myself to fill in (and for you to read).
This list was inspired by the recent Rolling Stone list, “The 20 Most Iconic Rockers of All Time”. Instead, I will be delving into the 10 most iconic film characters…in my mind. Every day this week, I will unleash two new characters upon you unsuspecting bloggers. By the end of the week we ought to have 10. But first, let me establish a few rules for myself:

  • Character is based on visual appeal, performance, and cohesive mixing of the two. In other words, visual appearance and action must reflect, and hopefully be an extension of the character derived from within the performance. The film character logically then must be established cinematically. And cinematically means both visually, and in terms favorable to the fictional narrative.

  • The characters must be chosen from a pallet that favors both the popular, and the obscure. In other words, I can’t just pick a bunch of famous movie icons simply because I know everyone will recognize them. I’m not going to be throwing down Bogart characters or referencing Marilyn Monroe from “Some Like it Hot”. The characters have to be unique, iconic, and maybe even a little bit obscure.

  • The character may overrule my personal distaste for the film he or she appears in. So if I love a character, but dislike a film, then that character has the right to overrule my distaste of the film and be established on the list regardless of my personal feelings. If I love the character and the performance, then so be it.

  • Everything else is fair game. “All is fair in love, war…and motion pictures.”

Tomorrow we’ll kick it off with 10 and 9 on the list.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

Thanks for giving something for us to read!