Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Nanners and Cream

Last night Gabe and I took in Bob Nanna’s solo project, City on Film at Modified Arts. The show was great, although Nanna only played 8 songs or so. However, I didn’t expect him to bust out a lengthy set, as it was only Nanna, an amp and an acoustic guitar. If you’ve gotten the chance to see Nanna perform live (minus Hey Mercedes or Braid) then you probably know what he tends to play: Hey Mercedes and Braid songs, a few originals and some covers. He started the set off with "Boy Destroyers" from the Hey Mercedes “Looses Control” LP and ended it with "A Dozen Roses" from Braid’s Frame and Canvas. He did take one request (grudgingly) from a fan, but I wasn’t familiar with the song. Surprisingly, he delivered a nice cover of Lifter-Puller’s "Secret Santa Cruz" in between the set, which was an unexpected choice. (But, a nicely done, unexpected choice.) I think I was slightly disappointed that he didn’t play “I’d Rather Be Wine Drunk” though. Yeah…I know; that was his secret, exclusive song on his 2004 mix tape. But still I was hopping he’d perform it live. (It's on his new EP after all)
I would have bought a CD, except he didn’t have any to sell. He mentioned new music out on The City on Film website though. Check it out.

Speaking of CD’s, Gabe asked me on the way over to the show what I had purchased lately. I haven’t gotten the chance to discuss my latest purchases with him, and so he suggested I list some here on the blog. But when I got home and started to think about it, I realized that I haven’t purchased much of anything lately. In fact, I could narrow my recent music purchases since September down to 4 CD’s! That was tremendously shocking to me, yet at the same time, I hadn’t suspected I had purchased a plethora of new albums. Still, I was a little questioning. I picked up tons of CD’s over the summer; what was it about the winter that caused my music habits to take a dive? And then it hit me: film school.
It’s hard to spend money on CD’s when you don’t have any money I guess…

Anyway, those 4 CD’s that I purchased were nothing extraordinary. 3 of them were CD’s I had been planning to purchase for a long time, and only one CD was a new album released just this year.

Massive AttackMezzanine

I didn’t mention this purchase on the blog since it’s primarily electronica music. As you know, I love the electronica. But I didn’t really feel the need to mention this one on the blog. It’s a good CD and I’ve listened to it quite a bit, but it’s definitely a taste that would appeal to Alex and myself: nonexistent guitar-work and an abundance of synthesizers.

CursiveThe Ugly Organ

Probably my personal favorite of my recent purchases, Cursive’s The Ugly Organ is a great album that I neglected to add to my collection for a very long time. I recalled numerous times riding with Gabe, listening to this album, which led me to ask myself, “Why haven’t I gotten this yet?” I’m interested in checking out some of the other Cursive albums, but this is a great one. In retrospect I would add it to my best albums of 2003 list, and probably rate it fairly close to the top.

The Firebird BandThe City At Night

I got this album at The Firebird Band concert Gabe and I attended a few weeks ago. I like the music and I’m a fan of the new direction Chris Broach is taking. Like Gabe, I’m a little disappointed that his voice is so heavily distorted and filtered throughout the album, but I like it nonetheless. Still, I do wish there were more guitar songs…

The BeatlesThe White Album

This one is pretty much an essential purchase and I’m shocked that I hadn’t picked it up earlier. I ended up buying it after I heard the song “Rocky Raccoon” in filmmaking student Ray Garcia De Leon’s car. Some other favorite songs from the album are Cry Baby Cry, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Helter Skelter, Martha My Dear, Dear Prudence, and The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill.

I need to compose a list of new music I want to purchase...

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

I don't have The Ugly Organ, but I LOVE Cursive's Domestica. Just a great, great concept album. It kind of reminded me of a harder version of Pedro The Lion's Control. Lyrically its not nearly as good as Control, but the vocal performance is an excellent example of something that could seem grating to most, but just feels strongly emotional and touching to me.

Gabe said...

Nice bannana pic! Brock and I have an inside joke regarding Bob Nanna and bannanas.

Brock said...

Domestica is what I plan on purchasing next. I really like the Ugly Organ, especially since it is a strong concept album as well, but I’m told that Domestica is their masterpiece. Now it is time for a shameful confession: I’ve never heard Pedro the Lion’s Control. //awaits the firing squad
I really need to get both Domestica and Control for a frame of reference.

Oh yeah, and I was shocked to find such a great bannana pic. I was even going to take the time to paste a little Bob Nanna head on it, but I haven’t gotten around to that yet.

Jeremy said...

I didn't know that Ugly Organ was a concept as well. What's the concept?

Control is great. That would be a worthwhile purchase. However, I must admit, I still like Winners Never Quit better than Control. While Control has better individual songs, WNQ works as an album/concept much better, and therefore resonates stronger with me.

Brock said...

I think it's about the breakup of a relationship and all that stuff...of course, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it isn't a concept album (although I've heard it labeled as such before). Maybe it's more of a metafictional album - i.e. the artist takes a deep, learing look inside his own self-created world.

I think I may have heard one song off Control, from a mixtape Gabe composed early last year. I'll have to check. I really ought to listen to both of those albums and expand my knowledge of Pedro.