Friday, December 17, 2004

Skip me ahead to 2005

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events came out today. Will I see it? Oh sure. In fact, there is plenty of good buzz about the cinematography.

So, I think I’ve finally gotten a list of “albums released in 2004 that I’d like to pick up”. I must say, I personally didn’t feel that this was a great year for music. It started out pretty good, but it kind of fizzled out towards the end. I think 2005 is going to be a much better year for music, especially since we’re promised new releases from:
Rocky Votolato
Beck
Hey Mercedes
Radiohead (maybe)
Weezer


That being said, I’m not sure I have enough albums from 2004 to compile a “best of” list for this year. I probably could, but it would be a very scant list. (I would like to compile a “best of” list for movies however).
Here are the albums that I’d like to purchase from this year:

BjorkMedulla

I like Bjork…this one may be weird however.

Ted LeoShake the Sheets

This album has not gotten very positive reviews, but I listened to a sampling of it, and I liked what I heard. It is a carbon copy of Hearts of Oak, but it is still good. He writes better rock music then the latest trendy garage band, regardless of it being a copy of his older work.

Brian Wilson - Smile

I need to join Gabe on all the Beach Boys lovin’…

PavementCrooked Rain, Crooked Rain

“What’s that” you say? Yes, Pavement. This is an old album, but they released a deluxe edition of it this year. I’ve never heard much of Pavement, and I don’t own any of their records. Now that they’re repackaging their classic works in deluxe editions, replete with bonus tracks and Peel sessions, I seem to be hitting the Pavement fix at just the right time…

OwenI Do Perceive

I should have bought this at the Owen show a week or two back. I just hadn’t heard much of Owen and I wasn’t sure if I’d like it. But I really enjoyed the show and I’ve liked the free Owen songs Gabe has stuck up here on the blog. I need to get this.

6 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

After many years of wishy-washyness regarding Pavement, I have finally come to terms that I don't like them. I read a review of the re-release on Pitchfork, and they mentioned that among the demos were a number of version of released songs, with completely different lyrics. It just hit home what I had sensed for so long, that there is nothing substantial in Pavement's music. It's all just interchangable nonsense and slacker non-swagger swagger. Sorry, it's been bugging me.

Brock said...

Naw man, it's cool. Air it out...heh heh. I read that too. It struck me as unfortunate. I'll give 'em a spin, but I may not appreciate their interchangableness either.

Brock said...

Also, I feel obliged to inform you readers that Lemony Snicket was one of the better films I've seen this year.

Brock said...

Maybe that's just the after-viewing talking by the way...I'll have to see how I feel a few days from now.

Gabe said...

Oh, I LOVE Pavement. Stephen's a genius guitar player. Once I saw Pavement live, that sealed the deal on that. Great lyrics too, always making fun of what's currently popular. Sure, they bashed the Pumpkins ("out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids, they don't have no function") but I thought it was funny nonetheless. There was a period of time when I was into Pavement hardcore, listening to nothing but.

Joshua Provost said...

No offence on Pavement. I was venting a little bit.