Thursday, May 05, 2005

Bandito’s Way



So, I’ve been itching to direct a movie since I’ve gained much more experience since The Glove Box. Though, I really directed about 25% of that movie, Josh did the rest. He wasn’t properly credited on that one.



Acting in The Glove Box was a big factor in taking away from directorial duties. It’s difficult to concentrate on two jobs. I felt that I could do a better job of both on Bandito’s Way. My preference, however, was not to be in it and concentrate on directing. Fortunately there were enough people on hand to fill the three roles of my story.

The story is of a bank robbing bandit who comes into town, only to find it quiet and deserted. When he enters the bank, he finds a lone teller who informs him that they knew he was coming. Double-crossed! The teller alerts him that a sheriff’s posse is on the way and the money’s been moved from the vault. The bandit thinks the teller may be bluffing about the money and forces him to open the vault. When he does, the bandit is shot by the sheriff, who was waiting in the vault.



Though I really didn’t have the acting power I envisioned for the Bandit and Sheriff, both Joe and Craig did a fine job for first-timers. Both had “the look,” which made up for their acting inexperience alone. In fact, some of the shots of Joe inspired the title itself (a little play off Carlito’s Way).



Josh agreed to fill the part of the Teller, slapping some wardrobe together, including a pair of eyeglasses off the dummy that was sitting in the bank. I don’t know if I would’ve found a better nerdy teller if there had been a casting call! Seriously, Josh did a great job.



So, all in all, I felt I’ve improved, but I still need a ways to go.

7 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

Gabe,

I'm so glad you posted. I've been dying to read something new, and to see some stills. It does have a terrific look to it. I'm really liking that we just used natural lighting.

I was excited that you were focusing on directing this time. The Glove Box ended up in a no man's land, with not enough of your influence, and me trying not to influence it too much. Looking at it another way, it wasn't really directed by anyone, it just sort of made itself in a very safe sort of way.

So, this is what I was interested in seeing, what would a film be like if Gabe focused on directing, and I can already tell it's great.

My only aspiration in acting in this was to do well enough that I didn't detract from the film.

I'm more than willing to help edit, if you want, though I'm sure you'll figure it out. I'm 75% done with The Visitor, and 25% into Arizona CItizen, and they extended the deadline to the 23rd, so there should be time.

BTW, check out some of the music over at productiontrax.com. You can search for West or Western and they have hundreds of songs available. I went through most of them looking for music for my films, and I noted a few that might be good for yours:

Jeanotte in G #1
In The House

Joshua Provost said...

I forgot to mention, that picture of Joe is amazing.

Gabe said...

Somehow I deleted the end of my blog removing a picture that wasn't working.
I forgot to mention I was ripping off Sergio Leone.
I'll check out productiontrax.com. I did find a cool loop in Acid, though, plus I came up with a cool guitar lick to go along with it. I just may do that.

Brock said...

I like those shots Gabe. Josh looks very timid and Joe looks very intimidating. The eye-closeups are priceless.

I know the actors weren't experienced enough, but like you said, I'm glad that you focused completely upon directing for this piece. I think Josh's performance might be enough to get some strong praise for the acting, and the shots are more then enough to get you some attention as a cinematographer. Thankfully, the location is authentic enough that the atmosphere will glaze over any minor issues with the film.

Really, I consider this your first true solo direction piece. Sergio would be proud (or he'd be contacting his lawyers).

Joshua Provost said...

You'll be surprised how much sound effects and the right music will enhance the performances.

Joshua Provost said...

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this before, but did you crop down past 16:9? Looks good.

Brock said...

Yeah, I think that emphasizes the stylized framing of those shots.