Thursday, May 12, 2005

Morphine Dogs

I want to say something really quickly: Josh dropped off a copy of the latest Nowhere Man and Whiskey Girl album today, a series of cover songs spanning some of the duo's favorite music. And I just want to say that this may very well be my favorite album of the year. I've said a lot of nice things about Josh's label in the past, and I think he really is gathering a nice group of artists under the 727 banner. But just take a moment and reflect upon what I just said: This may be my favorite album of the year. I don't hand that statement out lightly...especially to record labels and bands supported by friends. After hearing these cover songs though, I don't personally care to hear the originals. I don't want to even know who wrote the original songs.

5 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

Brock, glad to hear you like the album. There really is something about it. I have to give it Derrick and Amy, and Greg Naylor over at Sound Tracks studio for some great engineering and mixing. He really captures the perfect sound for them. Roger Siebel over at SAE Mastering also did a superb job.

It's very striking, this album. It gets inside you. It's piercing (in a good way). I'm stunned, too, you can tell. I'm not at all involved in the music aspect of the album, so it's as striking for me to hear it as anyone else.

Never heard them sound better, on previous recordings, or live. This is the definitive NMWG sound right now.

Jeremy said...

Unbelievable! I've been replaced! Brock has taken my place in Joshua's life. He has stripped me of my Consultant Provost title. Can I get hooked up with a copy of this?

Jeremy said...

Oh ... and have you ever heard of Cat Power's The Covers Record? It always amazed me how many people started coming out with 100% covers albums after Chan did it.

Joshua Provost said...

Much like The Covers Record, I encouraged D&A to cover themselves, to do an old Briefcase song or two. Their gonna hold those over to their next album of originals, though.

Brock said...

Jeremy,

I think I only got the CD because he had it in the car and could make a quick trip to my house before he got into work. I'm just "there".