Sunday, August 07, 2005

Things I’m Digging Right Now – August 7th



AGTC, Final Cut:I love the new overhead announcements. Obviously, Josh is the voice behind AGTC (although they sound like he sucked in a balloon full of helium before recording). They really add to the corporate feel of the piece, which is what Josh’s original intention was for the film I believe. Anyway, it’s good stuff. My favorite Joshua J. Provost film, by far.

Leonardo: Leonardo didn’t perform too well in Screen Wars, but that doesn’t mean that I love the film any less. It’s still one of my favorite Matter of Chance shorts. I hope it does well elsewhere.

1984:While I was on my trip I read George Orwell’s masterpiece, 1984…for the first time. I must say that it was brilliant. I can’t believe I went so long without picking the book up – especially since so many of my favorite authors, filmmakers and artists draw inspiration from it. I found it interesting that the story was actually quite sooty and gritty. That atmosphere is far different from the alleged “Orwellian” future depicted in so many mediums, which is often cool, sleek and futuristic. As for the book itself, it artfully illustrates that nothing is sleek about the future. Everything is decomposing. I also like how bleak it is. So many films create stories of revolution, but this really doesn’t end on a happy note. He loved Big Brother.

The Emo Diaries, Chapters 1 and 2: Josh kindly gave me some CD’s before his departure: his extra copies of the Emo Diaries. I’ve only listened to Chapters 1 and 2, but they are fantastic. There are plenty of great bands that I never knew of in these CD’s, and a plethora of familiar faces. Jimmy Eat World’s cathartic “Opener” and The Appleseed Cast’s “Max” are defining. Other great tracks from Pop Unknown, Camber, Samiam, etc, make for a fantastic collection. Even though this genre is pretty much dead, it was still a nostalgia rush.

Catching up with Gabe: Parker and I had lunch with Gabe and his family today, which was nice. It’s been a while, especially since the trip. I think we need to all watch “Once Upon a Time in the West”.

CineCast: I have to admit that I was a little hesitant to try Apple’s new Podcast feature; I don’t normally listen to radio programs of any kind. But I took a chance and downloaded the CineCast show a few weeks ago. I’ve been hooked since.

Agent 1988: Read this blog.

4 comments:

Gabe said...

It was very nice to do lunch with you and Agent 1988 as well.

Joshua Provost said...

Glad you finally read 1984. I really enoy writers who go off onto highly technical tangents. It's one thing I love about Michael Crichton, and in 1984 the section on Newspeak is terrific in that regard.

Sorry I didn't get the long Leo done before I left. I will get to it very soon after I return.

I wish we could get a test audience together to figure out if the announcements in AGTC are a positive or negative thing. A couple groups, a control group and a test group, make them watch the films and monitor their heartrates, etc. Sort of the like The Subject! Haha!

Chriswab said...

Great page !!! Greatings from Germany- Bottrop!!!

Joshua Provost said...

Guys, you may want to check out this post. It's the old image-switch trick again. I thought linking to images was the blogger way, but I guess not everyone thinks so.