Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Holmes in da House

My interest in feature length screenplays and dramatic narrative has recently led me into episodic structure…something I’ve been pondering over lately due to the reemergence of an old entertainment, and the development of a new one.
First, the new: I’ve really gotten into that television show House over the last few weeks. I mean really into it. Herein lies a show with a ridiculously strong protagonist, unique dramatic mechanism and clean narrative structure…

Allow me to deviate for a moment here and state that while the character of House is brilliant, I credit Hugh Laurie for that portrait. I am sure that some general idea of his persona was conceived at the time of the show’s scripting, but it’s easy to see by the character’s inner life and the gradual comfort each episode gains with the character that the writers' had little hand in the matter. However, I believe the writers to be chiefly responsible for the show’s lean structure.

…Of course, the show has been criticized for its episodic structure, but I find that to be the show’s chief virtue. It’s kind of nice to have a program wherein each episode is self-contained and functional. After trying to keep up with the interlocked plotlines of 24 and Lost, House is a real breather. Episodic also seems to be a rising trend this year. The producers of Lost have recently announced that the third season will be much more serial in its nature than the previous plot-heavy seasons. Good, I say. But to be honest…I can’t wait for more House.

Now for the old: I’ve returned to reading Sherlock Holmes stories recently. To be fair, I used to read Holmes stories all the time; the atmosphere of Doyle’s Victorian world was instrumental in creating Sin of the Opiate, not to mention the dialogue in Wildlifeless. But as to why I started reading these stories again (since those two projects are quickly descending into history) I don’t know.

Oh, wait.

It might be because the Holmesian structure is like clockwork…a classic example of episodic narrative. I should also note that I’ve learned that the characterization of Holmes and the episodic structure of these stories play a key influence for House. Ah yes, the picture is complete.
In a final note for this rather indulgent blog entry: I picked up my reading with “The Adventure of the Empty House”, the first story after Holmes’ “death” in “The Final Problem”. While I found “The Final Problem” to be a rather flat and heartless story (you could tell that Doyle was just sick of the character by then), “The Adventure of the Empty House” was thrilling. Easily one of the best Holmes stories. Wherein Doyle had given up on trying to create a Victorian London with all sorts of vibrancy and uniqueness in “Problem”, “Empty House” has him painting a stunning, dangerous world nearly rivaling that of “The Sign of Four”. Most notable? The villain in this short work is a retired big game hunter! I wish I had read this story before Wildlifeless…and yet, it was extremely gratifying to note that the big game hunter herein was depicted much in the same grandiose fashion that we have depicted ours.

4 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

The episodic structure of House started to really grate on me halfway through the first season. After the shock of the outrageous lead character wore off, the pattern became too clear: Someone with a rare disease showed up, House resisted taking the case but became intruiged, he'd try a couple of increasingly outrageous risky treatments and surgeries that would make the patient perhaps immediately well but then much worse, House would crack the lie that the patient or his family were perpetrating, and the patient was cured. It was still good television, because of the characters, but I felt they were trapped in this hamster wheel.

Then, in the second season, they did something very interesting. They started turning the characters upside down. The good girl was taking drugs, the traitor was showing some loyalty, and the black guy was losing mind and being nice. House was going through all sorts of crap. They also started to get into some crazy fantasy/dream sequences, like the whole finale.

So, I think it has a lot of promise, and as long as they keep feeding Laurie outrageous lines, it'll be better than most stuff on TV.

Jeremy said...

What's going on with this blog? No posts in a week? Get cracking.

Joshua Provost said...

Woah. Bold statement from someone who before the recent posts had posted like 5 times in the last year. OK buddy.

Brock said...

What's going on is...

1. School (which started today and by the looks of things will eat me alive...I can't only hope to push myself through to December and the bitter end)

2. Personal writing (which ties right back into school as of next week...oh boy)

3. Wildlifeless and the other shorts needing to be completed

4. Did I mention school?

5. Flat out, I just can't think of anything interesting to write about. Even with all of the above, when I have something to blog about, I'll blog about it. I just don't. I might have something after tonight that I really want to chat about...but there aren't going to be any discourses on House or Lost or something fun and upbeat. Bahhh...

In closing -- I apologize. I need to post something. I'll get cracking.