Monday, March 24, 2003

Looser



So today was the first day back to school after Spring Break. It was kind of a mixed feeling: on one hand I really looked forward to getting back into the swing of things, and on the other hand I enjoyed being lazy and incoherent. However, it all turned out well, and my Spring Break was fairly productive. One of the things I did on Spring Break was write a short story, the first non-science fiction story that I finished on my own accord. I encountered a few writing difficulties here and there, mainly on Friday last week when a horrible case of writer's block prevailed throughout the day. Thankfully, by the end of the night, the writer's block cleared up and I got back to writing the story, more motivated then ever. That night I finished it, and now all I have to do is edit it and clean the paragraphs up a bit!

What is this story about you say? Well, it's about a man...and to be more specific it's about a looser. This looser of a person is crushed by a romantic mishap that slowly ate away at his being for the course of a few months. Distraught and saddened by loosing the girl of his dreams to another man, he finds solace in attending the concert of his favorite band of all time. This is where my take on the story picks up as we find the man moping about around the concert venue, only to run into his personal idol - the lead singer of his favorite band. The two talk over his problems and find a kind of kindred spirit in one another as they both share similar circumstances in their life. So what? Big deal you say... we've heard the story about the romantic looser a million times over. The big kicker comes in the end of the story, an ironic (and fairly unsatisfying) twist leaves the reader feeling sad and in hysterics at the same time. Well, that is to say, I can only hope it will leave the reader feeling that way. Whenever I write down a story or a concept for a story and share it with someone else, their reaction is usually completely different from my own reaction to the story...so what may seem funny and tragic to me will probably just seem stupid to everyone else. For that matter, it's really not a lover's lament story, it's a commentary on the strange relationship between an artist and his/her fan.

I'm going to try and submit the story to some publications or something, however, I have no idealistic expectations of it being accepted and published. In fact, chances are it'll get shot down and by the end of April I'll have a stack of rejection slips that reach the ceiling of the house. Yet, since I really enjoyed writing the story, I'll probably post it on the blog at one point or another, just so you can read it. I'm sort of proud of it, in my own minor way.

Oh yes, and I need to think of a title for it. So far I’ve got a couple of ideas:
  • Venue

  • Willow and I

  • Smoke Stack

  • The New Pollution


  • I suppose in order to understand a few of those title ideas you’d have to read the story. Soon enough, soon enough…

    Last week I listened to a lot of Beck's Sea Change as well as Zwan. I'm not a big fan of Zwan's CD, Mary, Star of the Sea, but I'm trying to get revved up to see Billy Corgan and his new crew in concert come April.

Blog Archive

Contributors