Thursday, August 12, 2004

The months give themselves to darkness against the light

Gabe clearly devalues himself as a writer; he's got an ability that oftentimes goes underappreciated. Still, he can’t deny his brilliance in using that old blog to post our literary creations. Now we can post our short stories without fear of cluttering up our main blog. What’s more, I’m eager to see Gabe’s work. Check the The Study of Leonard Hughes out later, because I’m going to post an excerpt from “Blood on the Golden Shores”

Do you ever have one of those days when the underlying cinematic inspiration behind the world unravels itself to you? I know that sounds odd, but stick with me here. I had such an experience last night and early this morning.
The first experience came last night when the skies darkened and the wind began to rustle. It’s this time of year when you can feel the air bulging with the humidity of Monsoon Season. In summers past the rains have been unforgiving in their downpour. But this year we’ve gotten scarcely more then a drizzle. That was until last night, when the skies seemed to utterly explode with water. It might have been dry around other parts of the valley, but nearby my house the rain was gushing down in sheets.
And it was nice. The rain cascading down my back porch like a waterfall, puddles turning into rivers in the street, it was cinematic. Being inside my house during the storm made it all the more surreal.
And then there was this morning. I had a dental appointment and I had to leave the house around 6:30. Sleep came fairly easily when I went to bed, but I woke up about an hour and a half earlier then I intended. And I couldn’t coax myself back to sleep. So I got up and decided to see what the world would be like at that hour.
At first I didn’t know what to do, so I put on my headphones and wandered around the house looking at the brightening sky outside. Appropriately, when the darkness began to recede I popped in Failure’s Fantastic Planet and listened to “Daylight”.
(I also listened to “The World At Large”. You can question the rest of Good News all you want, but the epic simplicity of that track marks it as a masterwork.) But the point I’m trying to make here is that I had no idea how amazingly visual these things could be. I knew they were, but for some reason it struck me as extra pertinent last night and today.

Anyway, enough sentimentality; I think its time we consider two albums I’m looking forward to:

The first is Ted Leo’s new album Shake the Sheets. Apparently, this album was leaked in its entirety last week, and people have been snapping up downloads like crazy. I’m going to wait for the mass release, but I did download one track from Shake the Sheets, The One Who Got Us Out. I think it sounds very good. Leo’s songs are always rock without apology, and I think this album is going to deliver on that reputation.
Of course, I am tempted to download the rest of the album. But I’ve managed to keep myself restrained so far.

The other album I wanted to look into was Chris Broach’s new Firebird Band release (which I think is entitled The City at Night). I really liked the last Firebird album. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I believe it may be one of my favorite albums of the past five years. Hence, I’m really excited about this next release. Check out the message board on their official site. They’ve asked fans to tell them where they should play in support of the new release. I’ve seen Broach with Braid, but I’d like to see one of his solo projects.

9 comments:

Gabe said...

I look forward to these as well. And I finally ordered a Ted Leo album, Hearts of Oak.

Brock said...

That's a good one. Very upbeat.

Jeremy said...

I enjoyed your post. I, too, have often received inspiration from Arizona rain. Its beautiful.

AZ rain has appeared in Sans Hands as well as in the song Sunsets off the 12 Brothers EP.

Brock said...

Nice. I'm gonna have to read Sans Hands.

Side note: The title to this post is a goof. It's supposed to be "death" in place of darkness. It's a lyric from the Modest Mouse song "The World At Large".

Jeremy said...

That book is off limits.

Brock said...

Ha! Roger that.

It's cool you were inspired by the Arizona rain though. It is a beautiful thing, but rare. I remember the first or second year I lived down here in Arizona; it rained like crazy. I thought it was one of the best things I'd ever seen. And then, it just seemed to dry up the following years. It hasn't ever rained quite like it did when I first moved, but when it does, you're right, it's inspiring.

Joshua Provost said...

Sans Hands can be had on the black market, if you search hard enough. I think there is a Geocities site that sells copies from time to time.

There is also an unbound original test print from the printing company that can be located under Angie's unmentionables at my home address. You'll have to talk to Angie about that.

I wouldn't normally reveal the exact location of such a rare treasure, but Jeremy is at a safe distance, and it will be suitably relocated by the time he next ventures out this way.

Is Jeremy secretive enough to fly across the country without notice to destroy this artifact? Perhaps.

Jeremy said...

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

The only appropriate answer to your post, Joshua, would be the hard to hear lyrics of Guaranteed Overnight Delivery. Most people don't even realize this song has lyrics. And their brilliance is presented to you now:

Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps. Hey, hey, Jeremy!

Brock said...

There are some markets I won't buy from. The black market is one. Also, I can understand a writer's wishes, and it's his/her choice. Besides, you can download the audio book from Kaazaa Lite now.