Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Radio Revolution

Years back, about nine or ten, there was an AM radio station in Phoenix that was kick-butt. It was called The Q. I even remember the call letters, KUKQ, 1060 AM. They played a plethora of independent, punk, ska, and other music. How cool was it? Go to the link and check the Nov/Dec '91 playlist. It lists "Rhinoceros" by The Smashing Pumpkins. It was were I discovered some new bands that shaped my CD collection, like Jawbreaker, Sublime, Fugazi and more. They even had a weekly program were they played some new music, and had the listeners help pick the new song. Then it died.

One of the current local radio stations, The Edge 103.9, was your average, "play all the hits the kids love" radio station. Then, probably due to some corporate cut-backs, it was dropped. It then resurfaced with a new frequency (106.3 was the original) and new ownership. It was now independently operated! They were touting the phrase "independent radio." We were then blessed by independent music flowing through the air waves, right? Wrong. The playlist didn't change one bit! We got to hear the same old crap. I believe it had to do with the fact that the program director was a former manager, or something, from the old Edge. She still had the same mentality.

Then, a few months ago, The Edge didn't have DJs blabbing, and they started playing a variety of songs not heard in a while. Then, every once in a while, an announcement from the new owner would play, asking listeners to call or email him, giving him feedback on what they wanted from their local independent radio station. They even had a feedback form to fill out on the website. After a few weeks, the DJs came back on and the format had changed a little. It's better, still a long way from great, but it is better than before. They don't repeat songs as often, and they play some songs from the alternative/grunge era, plus some good 80's songs as well.

I signed up for their "Insiders" email list. Early this week they sent out an email, saying that the first 10 people to reply, would be invited to the station to discuss more ways they can improve. I'm one of the ten. Tonight, at 8:00 PM, I go to The Edge and let my/our voice be heard. I hope I'm not alone. I don't want to contend with 9 teens wanting their pop-punk back. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Joshua Provost said...

The weight of the world and the future of radio rests on your shoulders, Gabe. May the force be with you.

My suggestion, they should do a special where they play all anti-corporate radio songs, starting with Jimmy Eat World's "Your New Aesthetic" from 1999's Clarity.

Gabe said...

Yikes, the pressure! I'll have to borrow that Jimmy album. I have Static Prevails. And they'd have to play The Casket Lottery's "On the Air." With lyrics like "turn that radio off, it's just commercials made by stars...they need choreographers just to breath."

Brock said...

Dang Gabe! Talk about being given a position of influence. You have the ability to shape Phoenix Radio with your very hands. That’s fantastic. Who knows what the other kids will be like, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you get to have more influence in the process then you think. I’d give you some bands to boast about and changes to suggest, but you know this crusade better then I do. You live it, breathe it. And now? You may change it. Right on!