Thursday, November 18, 2004

The Albino(s)

The third and final teacher in my production block is Icelandic. When she first walked into the classroom a week or two ago I was struck by a number of things about her. But I was mostly struck by her hilariously weird personality. She's just crazy. Anyway, she's got us writing an outside paper on film editing, and while she allowed us to make our own choices over what we would view, she strongly recommended we come to the school and watch an Icelandic film she was hosting for the public: Nói albinói.
I could name a number of films that I'd love to take a bite at, films with unique and bizarre editing styles. Buuuuut...she was not only strongly recommending we see this Icelandic film, she was also offering extra credit to any film student who showed up. I couldn't resist. So, I took in the Icelandic film Noi Albinoi, a story not unlike many previous stories about alienation and social isolation.

I won't spew out another review, I promise, but I thought it was funny how remarkably similar Noi is to other misunderstood protagonists. Like say...Edward Scissorhands? Or maybe even...Powder? I hadn't noticed how similar all of these outcasts were to one another! Pasty, white, somber, and often bald. And who can forget how such characters happen to attract the very pretty "ideal girl" that other characters in the film are unable to woo. But they always happen to loose her in the end.
I liked Noi though. Nowhere near as much as Edward Scissorhands, but it was a nice film. Oh yeah, the editing was very cool, the music was great and I liked the cinematography.

Superb style.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

It's funny that you mention this film, because someone here in Franklin-y recommend this to me, knowing the kind of films that I enjoy. If it has Brock's approval then I really have to check it out.

Brock said...

Yes, check it out man.

Joshua Provost said...

Maybe I'll pick up the DVD? I loved Powder and Ed Scisy. Plus, while I will admit to being obsessed with The Smashing Pumpkins, some say I was directly obsessed with the bald and quasi-albino Billy Corgan himself. I will vigorously refute the homo-erotic implications of my acusers, of course.