Monday, July 25, 2005

The Subject

The Subject is finally completed. We have both the 3-minute, Screen Wars cut, and the longer, 5-minute director's cut. I'm quite excited. It's really a fun film to watch and Josh did a great job with the editing. In fact, everyone did a good job on this film. People really helped out for the sake of the story, and I think it works masterfully. In many ways, you could kind of view this as a belated companion piece to AGTC, if not exactly in story, then most possibly in style and tone.

Speaking of which, I think Josh is going to try and do a 3-minute cut of AGTC we were talking about it tonight. The whole idea is sheer madness, but it could probably be done. I will always consider the full 7 minute version to be the film, but this new 3-minute version will be something to see if Josh can pull it off.

I asked my family today what their favorite 3 Matter of Chance films were...here is the top 3:

1. Leonardo
2. Intense Math
3. The Subject

Which brings me to an interesting question: what are your favorite 3 MOC films?

8 comments:

Jeremy said...

This was really tough. You only let us vote for one even though you're asking for three. I voted for Leonardo, but it was really close.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen The Subject. My other two would be Arizona Citizen (an instant classic) and AGTC (which was truly grand in scale, great music, entertaining throughout).

I may just be voting for Leonardo because of its status as an "American Foreign Film," which you all know has long been a dream of mine.

Joshua Provost said...

Yeh, I'm loving Leonardo right now, but perhaps only because it is so fresh. I've referred to it as a "domestic foreign film," allowing for the posibility that imitators in other countries will make films in English (or gibberish English, which I'd like to see/hear) with non-English speaking actors.

Arizona Citizen and The Subject may be 2nd and 3rd right now. I'm sure it will fluxuate over time.

Brock said...

Yeah, this is a tough one. I should fix that poll so you can vote three times. My bad.
The whole poll itself isn't reliable because not everyone has seen all the films on it. In fact, The Subject probably shouldn't be on it yet. Oh well.
The poll is also missing Johnny B. Naked, Outside In and Pantomiming. AND, even though it isn't completed yet, I almost included Tim Nm. I ultimately decided to keep those films out though because of various reasons: Johnny B is too short compared to the others. Outside In and Pantomiming were filmed under the MOC name even though there really was no MOC at the time -- I just used the name to keep the idea alive. And Tim Nm is a feature-length, not a short.

Good to know what your favorite three are though. I love Arizona Citizen as well. I'm also a big fan of AGTC simply because of how grand it is. We shot that film in less then 48 hours, yet it continues to be very epic when compared to our other films. And ironically, most of those films were shot with plenty of time.

Leonardo is fantastic. I'm surprised at how much people seemingly love that film. It has the potential to be our most crowd-pleasing since Intense Math.

I'm sure my choices will fluxuate over time as well. It all depends on what mood I'm in, I guess. Also, I'm really looking forward to seeing a lot of "Year 2" ideas.

Jeremy said...

Any idea how Leonardo did in Screen Wars?

Brock said...

No clue until Saturday.

Joshua Provost said...

And still no figugres on the Bad Whiskey/Arizona Citizen vote on the web site. Maybe they are protecting us from our crushing defeat?

AGTC was quite a feat. Longest of the short films, created in the shortest amount of time (well, I guess JBN took less time, but you can't really count that).

AG2C coming soon, shot with one scene each in every public library in the valley!

Joshua Provost said...

Man, it's a good thing we called this film "Leonardo." Nobody's going to vote for "Il Dirrito Uomo." :)

Brock said...

I really do like the title. Good call on Gabe's part. It's nice and simplistic, and yet it conveys the entire scope of the film.