Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Strong Arm contest



Without a doubt, the Foo Fighters was the best 30-someodd dollars I’ve ever owed Gabe. From start to finish, it was a great show, and Dave Ghrol was honestly a very funny guy. Of course, they played most of their big hits, Everlong and My Hero, but thankfully, they didn’t play each song note by note. Numerous times they played around with the melody of their hit singles, turning 3-minute songs into lengthy jams. However, the Foo Fighters was just part of the reason why it was a great show. I was also looking forward to the Transplants and I enjoyed them quite a bit as well. Beforehand I had never seen Tim Armstrong live, but now I have… in somewhat of a compressed state. As you probably know, the Transplants are more of a side-project to the more infamous band, Rancid. Because of this, Tim played more of a subdued role then he might normally have. Still, the crowd went crazy every time he got close enough to the end of the stage. Both the Transplants and the Foo Fighters put on an energetic show, and both Tim and Dave took time to step off the stage and join the audience…

One big surprise that I didn’t count on was the opening act before the Transplants, the Special Goodness. They weren’t even listed on the ticket, but low and behold, there they were. For those of you who may not know this, the Special Goodness boasts Matt Sharpe, the former bass player for Weezer. I was a bit taken back when I saw them playing, as far as I knew only the Transplants were playing as the opener. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see all of the Special Goodness’ set, but they sounded good. All in all, it was a fun night.

I tell you, this is going to be one packed week, and it seems like the weeks are getting longer and crazier as time goes on. Zwan will be playing later on this week, (Thursday even) and I think I’ll probably go. I’m getting excited for Small Brown Bike to hit Zona though, that will be a good night indeed.

So I’ll probably be in cinema class today, and then I have to work on a paper, so time will be rather thin. However, I’ll check in later if I get a moment to spare. See you!

-Brock

No comments: