Tuesday, June 10, 2003

All Things Good and Nice



Above the earth, beneath the sky, with eyes like static...

Last night was fantastic: Gabe, myself and our friend Alex joined up to go see Jets to Brazil at the new Nita’s Hideaway, and the show didn’t disappoint. From the get go it was an energetic and lively performance. The guitar work, the new drummer and the keyboarding all came together to create an invigorating experience. Reaming with the energy (and subtle grandeur) found on their albums, Jets churned out a cool set with some coveted classics. Part of the magic though came from the fact that this was the first time I’d seen Jets to Brazil live. Gabe mentioned in passing that they put on a good show and as a result I had coveted such a concert for a long time. I couldn’t help but smile to anyone and everyone when they played live versions of infamous tracks like “Sea Anemone” and “Chinatown”. Their music is one of my lesser-spoken tastes; ultimately they get lost in my torrent of praise for groups like Radiohead or The Casket Lottery. Nevertheless, their music made a giant impression upon me. As you may have noticed, our blog is even named after a lyric in their song “I Typed for Miles”. (I got it off a list of potential band names Gabe sent me) Regretfully, they didn’t play that song last night, although plenty of people spouted out requests for it.

I think Gabe’s recording went over well too. He hasn’t said anything about it, but I think it should turn out ok. Thankfully, no one patted us down.

P.S. I owe Gabe some moolah, (he got me Hail to the Thief: Limited Edition).

No comments: