Friday, March 12, 2004

Hackneyed words, hackneyed video

If you’re an avid reader of Pitchfork, and you happened to come across my post yesterday, then allow me to apologize for some of those things I said. As you probably know, I was a bit addled by their article on Braid. My rotten disposition came about because I felt the article drew false conclusions upon unfounded statements, statements that the writer basically twisted into sensationalistic journalism. So if you like either Pitchfork or the Rapture (the conceptual music link) then understand that I wasn’t trying to make an attack on the website, just its hackneyed writing.

With that said, let’s move on to today’s business, namely, me telling you about my experience in editing. Well, there isn’t actually a whole lot to say on the matter. I went into class, breezed through a particularly easy mid-term, and spent the rest of the evening with a partner editing the video I had shot a week earlier.
We ended up laying down some very nice transitions and effects, and when deciding how to present the credits, my partner threw in a stroke of brilliance. We took the very last frame of the video, a man jumping up into the air and clicking his heels, and froze the frame at the peak of his jump. Then, like an old episode of M*A*S*H, we rolled the credits over that still frame.
I’m not satisfied with our musical selections though. The other editor was hell bent on fading in and out different songs throughout the entire video. I, on the other hand personally felt that since the video is only two minutes long a lot of different audio tracks might break up the pacing. Hence, I’ve picked out a song that I think we could lay down over the entire video, ‘I Don’t Know’, from Hello Nasty.
I’m sure the other editor will at least let me try it out before we turn our project in.

Anyway, in important news…I’m glad to hear that Gabe’s monologue went so well. I knew he was gonna pull it off. I just didn’t expect his teacher to be so completely bowled over by his performance. It’s definitely a progression from holding oranges in your hand, eh Gabe?
Thanks by the way for adding the Phoenix Art Link. First Fridays are always a blast. If you’re ever in Phoenix on the first Friday of the month, or if you’ve lived in Phoenix without ever attending one of its art events, then think about attending a First Friday. You’re sure to see some good work and interesting ideas.

No comments: